Saturday, February 13, 2010

First Step: Get Inspired


GET INSPIRED

You may wonder, where do I start when I want to redesign a room. The first step is to get inspired. Find something that you love and make that your starting point. It could be a painting, food, location, etc. Someplace or something that makes you feel good. For Kayla's (my daughter's) room, we found a wonderful and colorful decorative box. From here we began figuring out what colors we would like to have in her room. That was not the only deciding factor in how the room was to come together. I love starting with color, but we need to know how the rest of the room will flow and by rest of the room, I mean furniture, lighting, textiles, etc.


STAY ON TRACK BY USING A CONCEPT 

Now that I have the inspiration, I worked on what kind of feeling I wanted to invoke in the rest of the room, which would eventually become my concept. The concept will keep you on track when buying your accessories and everything else for your room. A concept can be a feeling, thought, or anything you want your room to be centered around. For Kayla's room, I'm working with the concept of Swirlicious. Needless to say, we are working with circles, swirls and curves.


THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Not everything you want will be available at the store. Maybe there is a nice piece of furniture or side table that catches your eye,but it's not the right color. Why not buy it and paint it or use some other material to cover it. Pieces can be found all over. Think reused. Go to that antique store or garage sale. You never know what you might find. A basket can be turned into a ceiling light. A vintage frame can become a message board or mirror. That planter box can be turned into a nightstand. Use your imagination. Nothing is ever what is seems. When you think outside the box, your room will become amazing and all your own. It will become that much more special.






No comments:

Post a Comment